Saturday, September 24, 2011

Minor Annoyance

Apparently open 24 hours in Korean means something other than it means in the US.  Instead of being open 24 hours a day/seven days a week except for the occasional holiday, it actually mean being open 24 hours from Monday morning through Friday night, Saturday during the day, and sporadically on Sundays.  Thanks gym for making it clear which Sundays you are open and not making me walk all of the way there only to discover that you are closed.  They should really write something different on the signs.  But I guess there is no really succinct way to explain there hours of operation that would fit in the same amount of space that the "24 hour" sign takes up.

I went to one of my coworker's baptism today.  It was the first time I'd been to a church since Christmas I believe.  I can't say it was really my ideology of Christianity but it was an interesting experience to say the least.  It was essentially like an American church.  The pastors and the congregation all spoke English and the ideas where similar to some churches that I have been to in the US.  Honestly, I'm more curious about the other religions practiced in Korea mostly because the majority of visible religion in the US is Christian.  In Korea, Christianity is only about a third of practiced religion.  The other two thirds are comprised of mainly Confucianism and Buddhism with a very little amount of Muslim and Baha'i sprinkled in.  The interesting thing about Buddhism and Confucianism are interesting as religions because in practice they are more a set of ethical values than a religion so the numbers for people who practice can vary greatly depending on what you count as practicing these religions.  In any case, since I rarely get to see anything else, especially being from the white-bread Midwest, I think it would be really interesting to see how the other religions are practiced here.

Korean character of the day: ㅉ - j sound; like yesterday,  this is a sound that we don't have in English, the best way that I can tell you that it is formed is by holding the b in a little longer and putting some pressure behind it like it is stuck and you are pushing it out
Korean word/phrase of the day: 역(yeok) - station (subway, bus, etc)

No comments:

Post a Comment