I have a lot to catch up on. I have been uncomfortably busy. Hence, I'm probably getting sick again as happens when my sleep schedule is tampered with. I really hope this is not the case but I will know in a few days.
Okay, so backing up a couple of week, I had a lavish Thanksgiving celebration the Sunday after Thanksgiving. Ovens are not a normal occurence in Korean so Brittany and I "borrowed" one of our Korean friend's apartments and ovens to throw our party. We got a turkey and everything. We then proceeded to cook for 10 hours straight. Needless to say it was delicious and too much food. I didn't really have to eat for a day afterwards.
The last two weeks, I have been writing grade reports, tests, lesson plans, spelling list and a story with my kindergartners for their end of the year story book that is going to be eighteen pages long. I'm really not sure how I made it through, but I did. And now for celebration. I'm excited to sleep massive amounts this weekend.
On Thursday, I had my first brush with Russian food. I went with Erik and Brittany to a restaurant called Gostinii Dvor in an area of Seoul that is kind of like their middle eastern Asia village. There were lots of signs in Cyrillic to prove it as such. I had no idea what to expect, but it was really very good. I don't really like beets, but I thought I'd get borscht just to try a traditional soup and I liked it very much. We also got some cabbage rolls stuffed with meat and potato, some Russian ravioli stuffed with lamb and Erik got several different kinds of beer which he generously let me try. For dessert we had this honey cake thing that was similar to baklava only more dense. Russian food gets a thumbs up, but I think it wouldn't be as appealing during the summer since it is all fairly dense.
In the last week, the weather has finally and officially taken a turn for winter. My hair froze on the way to work yesterday. I really need to get out the blow dryer, but I hate getting up any earlier than I have to. I will definitely have to buy some long underwear sometime soon. It's only just barely gotten below freezing, but it's very windy most days and it's also a damp cold so it cuts through your clothing. It also makes my nose look like Rudolph's. Super attractive.
However much I hate being cold, I love snow. It snowed for the first time this year yesterday morning while I was walking to work and it was beautiful. Big fluffy flakes of it. It didn't stick but it was totally awesome to look at.
Korean number of the day: 팔 (pal) or 여덟 (yoh-deolb) - eight
Korean word/phrase of the day: 추워요 (choo-wuoh-yoh) - I am cold.
No comments:
Post a Comment