The Christmas season just isn't the same as an expat, far away from friends and family. This is the first year I've been away from home for Christmas and it's a very odd experience. Add to this that for Koreans, Christmas is a whole different ballgame. They don't celebrate to the same extent as Americans and from what I've been told, it is more of a couples holiday. In any case, the atmosphere is lacking a certain je ne sais quoi. It will be especially weird on Christmas, not being with my family. I'm thinking a nice Christmas brunch is in order but I don't have the plans hammered out yet. If I was ever going to feel homesick, this would be the time of year I would be.
It's been a long week due to the persistent cold that seems to want to stick around no matter what. I'm hoping I've gotten myself over it this weekend but I don't think I going to be that lucky.
The temperature has dropped into the teens several days this last week and many of the Koreans that I have seen have seemed mostly oblivious to this. I am not a very good judge of cold weather simply because I hate it and I lived in Miami for four years, but I still think it is considered to cold to go bare legged, which is something I saw a woman doing a few days ago. I have also seen a fair amount of translucent tights and only sweatshirts without coats. I really don't understand. I look like a fraking marshmallow most days and I'm still cold.
There are only seven days left until Christmas and only ten days left until my mom and brother get here. I'm ridiculously excited.
Korean number of the day: 구 (goo) and 아홉 (ah-hope) - nine
Korean word/phrase of the day: 크리스마스 (ke-ree-se-ma-se) - Christmas
No comments:
Post a Comment