Wednesday, February 8, 2012

The usual

One of my kindergartners has been out of school since our Lunar New Year's break.  It's going on three weeks now, and it's kind of ridiculous.  At first, she wasn't going to be back from her grandmother's house until three days after break was over, then it was ridiculously cold and she got to stay home and now I have no idea why she's not back yet.

I had a lovely food adventure last week. Erik and I went to the Chinese neighborhood in Seoul and got some very authentic Chinese food.  It was so authentic, in fact, that the menus were completely in Chinese with Korean subtitles and no one working there spoke English.  We ended up ordering the dishes from the blog post that he had found the restaurant from because we really had no idea what any of it was.  We had kung pow chicken wings, a spicy tofu thing, and their specialty, a beef noodle soup that had cilantro in it.  It was all quite delicious.  I have developed mad chopstick skill and was able to pick up the peanuts with the chicken wing without thinking too hard about it.

Porridge: the Korean version of oatmeal.  It's kind of the same consistency of baby food, but don't let that turn you off.  It might be slightly closer to grits.  It comes in tons of different flavors like pumpkin, pine nut, squid kimchi and beef and mushroom.  It's quite delicious.  It used to be quite elusive and I didn't quite know where to get it except the not as good kind you get in those little chef boyardee-esque containers.  I found out yesterday that there is a whole chain of restaurants that offer it for take out and there's one right around the corner from my apartment.

No comments:

Post a Comment