Sunday, July 17, 2011

The Dark Lord is dead!!!

Sorry if I just ruined the series for anyone, but I imagine you would assume that he would die in the end.  I saw Harry Potter the day that it came out over here.  It was awesome.  Except for the fact that I was with hardcore Harry Potter people so I couldn't really make any kind of commentary during the movie or I would get shushed. The fact that they serve caramel corn in all movie theaters made the experience even better.  Why don't they do this more in the US?  I know there is one that does kind of near my house in Indiana but other theaters need to get on this.  They would make so much money because I know I would always buy pop corn if there was caramel corn, and I am sure that there are other people of similar persuasion.

I do not understand how Koreans are so skinny to the point where many look unhealthy.  I have yet to happen across their version of healthy food, and from what I can tell from the ones that I know they love to eat junk food all the time.  For example, they have these street food carts everywhere, especially at night (I think it's partially for the drunkies and their midnight cravings), that serve all sorts of fried, carby foods from ddokbokki (떡볶이), which are basically glutinous rice cakes in spicy saucy, to tempura blood sausage and yams.  None of these are very good for you despite being very delicious.  They are also very big on rice and noodles, and it's almost impossible to find whole grain versions of these.  There are so many pastry shops and coffee shops that also serve waffles and ice cream that I'm not really sure how they manage to stay borderline anorexic.  Even the very slim amount of vegetables that get served at lunch tend to be either deep fried or some sort of kimchi.  I guess it could be because of the kimchi, because it is a very healthy food, but I fail to see that as a key factor in counteracting all of the other high calorie junk foods they consume.  They also drink a fairly large amount as a cultural and business tradition which adds even more to their calorie intake.  The only real answers that I can find is that they are genetically gifted with a high metabolism or they just pretend to eat.

Banana milk is delicious.  As is strawberry milk.  Do these exist in the States and I have just been completely unaware?  All of the little convenience stores sell individual cartons of milk in different flavors.  The ones that I have seen have been coffee, banana, strawberry and chocolate, although there maybe more of which I am unaware.  I love chocolate milk, but the chocolate here tastes weird, kind of chalky maybe, but nothing like the chocolate milk at home.  All of the others are excellent.  They put the milks right next to individual sized cartons of drinkable yogurt in other flavors.  I feel like this is almost like milk so if you want to think about it this way they also have mixed berry and kiwi flavor too.  It's quite a nice snack.

Korean character of the day: ㅍ - p sound, aspirated
Korean phrase/word of the day: 의사 (eui-sa) - doctor

No comments:

Post a Comment