Sounds that they don't have in Korean: the 'o' sound in 'not', the 'a' sound in 'happy', the 'i' sound in 'stick', the 'f'sound in general as well as the 'th' sound, and the 'v' sound. I may be missing some, but so far this is what I've gleaned. It has also made me realize again, how effed up English writing is. I noticed today when I heard some random drunk Korean guy trying to sing "Happy Birthday" that his 'a' sounded funny. I thought about it for a second and realized that they don't have that sound in Korean and that their 'a' sound sounds like the 'a' in 'father.' I then moved on to realize that the 'a' sound in 'father' also sounds like the 'o' sound in 'hop.' So the Korean 'a' sound is also and equivalent to our short 'o' sound. How messed up is that? I also had an entanglement with the word 'cleanliness' in my most advanced class when they were completely baffled that it didn't sound like 'clean-ly-ness'. I completely understand their sentiments. But hey, at least they're not learning French, with all of it's silent consonants and vowels.
My birthday is on Friday!!! I hear there is a lovely, random birthday box on its way through the mail system. I am very excited. I keep getting all of the mailing list birthday emails too, each promising a free ice cream or meal, and then I feel very sad because I can use my free birthday fun. Although, there are definitely Baskin' Robbins and Coldstones here. Unfortunately, I highly doubt that they will be able to understand, much less accept my English birthday coupons. Le sigh.
birthday
I have brilliantly figured out a way to text home like normal texting. It is brilliant!! But I said that already. Oh the wonders of iPhones/smart phones. So, if you feel the need or desire to text me, contact me through one of the means that you know of that is more private than my public blog and ask me for my texting number. Or you may very well get a random text from a random number that is actually me at some point because I am quite thrilled that I can do this now. It makes phone call organization much easier.
Korean character of the day: ㅐ- kind of like the 'e' sound of the first 'e' in 'elephant', only slightly more of an 'ey' sound
Korean word/phrase of the day: 사랑해요. (sa-rang-hae-yo) - I love you. :D
No comments:
Post a Comment