Sunday, May 22, 2011

I sound like death

I've figured out why the whining of my kindergarteners is so grating.  The Korean language can have a lot of up and down intonation fluctuation within a single syllable , which sounds perfectly nice when speaking Korean, but when you add it to English, it makes for the most horrible whining you have ever heard.  I have one student in particular who can say absolutely anything and will talk like this so she just sounds like she is whining the entire time.  Very much trying to get rid of this habit.

Speaking of my little munchkins, I'm like 90% sure that one of them has gotten me sick, those adorable, little germ covered munchkins.  My voice is about 25% right now which is never a good sign consider I did no yelling or even very much talking yesterday.  There is also a little cough thing going on.  Really not cool.

This being my first full time job I'm still getting used to working 9 hour days.  I had around 9 months off of anything that was very time consuming and then even college was only 4 hours max of class time a day and then I could do whatever I wanted with the free time, like study.  Or eat.  Basically, it was ridiculously flexible.  That being said, I get home from being at work for 9 hours and I don't really want to move or do anything productive and I feel like I don't have time to do it even if I wanted to.  I don't know how grown ups get used to it.  For example, I really need to start getting my butt to the gym more than twice a week, but anytime that I do have that I could go I just want to eat, sleep or sit on my butt.

Asian girls have some sort of obsession with high heels which I don't understand.  Don't get me wrong, I have a love affair with cute shoes and heels, but these girls are wearing heels around like they are sneakers. And they wear them all day.  And they are not the sturdy kind of heels that look like you could do that and still be mostly okay, they are the 3-inch high, sharp, pointy stiletto type.  With the amount of walking I do here, my feet hurt at the end of the day after wearing sneakers all day.  The whole thing completely baffles me.  I mean sure I am in the middle/tall range of height here for women so I don't feel like I need heels to even be average height like some women might but come on, is being three inches taller really that important?

Two food things that I am really annoyed with: bananas and peanut butter.

I love bananas, they are the most practical fruit ever and are a great breakfast food or snack.  The problem is that pretty much anywhere you buy them here they are already ripe enough to eat and you can only buy them in bushels, they don't let you break off a couple like they do in the US.  So if they are already pretty ripe and you have to buy a bushel, chances are that you will not be able to eat all of them before they get over-ripe unless you eat them for every meal or are a family of four who really loves bananas.  I would think they would actually sell more if they just let people take the number that they wanted instead of 9 or 10.  I personally like my bananas just slightly under-ripe, so this poses a problem for me.  Today I did find one place that will let you break off however many you want but it's not exactly next door to my apartment and would be kind of a pain to make it over there every few days when I run out of breakfast food.

While they do have peanut butter here, firstly, it is prohibitively expensive.  Like $6.50 for a small jar expensive.  I have some that was left by Geoff (the previous resident/teacher), but it's a brand I've never heard of and it tastes funny and doesn't spread well.  On top of that, it is smooth, not crunchy but the other two factors really outweigh the smooth vs. crunchy right now.  In other words, it is not a kind that I would eat with a spoon as a snack as I so well love to do.  Secondly, they do not have JIF.  I have seen Skippy and Peter Pan and I have thought about buying one or the other but then I think, do I really wanna shell out $7 for some peanut butter that I just find marginal?  If it was cheaper I probably would.  But it's really not.  Maybe I can order some on ebay......or apparently Amazon has peanut butter????  This is weird thinking about ordering peanut butter online.....

Korean character of the day: - ch/j sound, half way between soft ch and j sounds
Korean word of the day: 오 (o) - 5
Bonus word: 바나나 (banana) - I really hope you can figure this one out.....

No comments:

Post a Comment