I have completely lost track of time. Not in an "I don't know what day it is" kind of way but in an "I don't know how much time has gone by" kind of way. I just realized that my high school is having a five year reunion for my class this year and I'm not going to be remotely able to go. My high school was small so they have a reunion for each class every five years, but still. I can't believe I'm at the point where I'd have a five year reunion. I also forgot that my brother is graduating from college this year and I won't be able to go to that either. I'm actually more sad about that one. I can't believe my younger brother is getting so old. He went to my graduation so I feel bad not being able to go to his. He may be coming to visit with my mom at the end of December, so if he does I will feel a little better about it. What to send him for a graduation present though, hmmmmmmmm.....
In any case, I don't feel that old. I just shocks me that these things have crept up on me. It's one of those "I can't possibly have done that that long ago, I don't feel old enough for that to be true" moments. It is true that age is only a number. It doesn't matter how old you are, it only matters how old you feel. While I feel like a grown up, since I am living in a far away foreign country all by myself, I don't feel old. Some people don't seem to realize that those are two different things. I was told recently by one of my friends that he didn't want to be a "grown up" because "grown up" to him means, three kids, a desk job, a mortgage and in general just being miserable. I was a little shocked because none of those things are what I immediately associate with being a grown up. To me, "grown up" just means being responsible for and thoughtful of your actions. Whatever you do besides that is up to you. Although, I do know people who are considered adults who are neither. Personally, I plan to keep my immature sense of humor and my ability to find the positive and enjoyable part any situation. I like being able to see the world as a kid from certain angles while still holding the knowledge of an adult. Whether that is considered being grown up or not, it is the version I prefer to the one that was presented to me of being miserable.
I'm 95% sure that I've finished my statement of purpose for my first grad school application. I'm waiting on some feedback to say whether or not it seems submission worthy. This is extremely exciting. It means I can almost go back to using my free time to study Korean instead of writing papers. WOOOOO!!! Also, it means a little less stress for me and only waiting to see if I get money left. I should probably apply for outside scholarships as well.
My cousin, who I haven't seen since I was 8, is in Korea today. Super random. She has professed the desire to see me, but considering it is almost dinner time and I haven't heard from her, I doubt it is actually going to happen. She was here last month for a couple of days too but I didn't get to see her then either.
Korean character of the day: ㄲ - g sound; like yesterday, this is a sound that we don't have in English, the best way that I can tell you that it is formed is by holding the b in a little longer and putting some pressure behind it like it is stuck and you are pushing it out
Korean word/phrase of the day: 가을 (ga-eul) - fall, autumn
No comments:
Post a Comment