I thought my immune system had finally adjusted to Korea. I hadn't been sick for at least two months and I was super exited, but then BOOM sore throat and cough city.
This week, one of my kids asked me why my eyes were green and not blue. The only response I had was that my mom has brown eyes and my dad has brown eyes because this is not a normal question to be asked. I guess it makes sense that they wouldn't really know because all Asians have black or brown eyes. They don't see the whole rainbow of eye color in people who are related like we do in western society.
While my overall preference is still for the US, there are definitely some things I will miss about Korea. Of course, being me, they're all food related. First, I will miss the abundance of flavored milk. Okay, the chocolate milk here compared to American chocolate milk sucks, but they have a number of other delicious flavors such as strawberry, banana and coffee, all readily available at any convenience store
Second, I will miss red bean flavored things. It looks kind of like chocolate, but if you are expecting chocolate you will be sorely disappointed. I think it may be an acquired taste, but I really like it.
Third, ice cream flavors are awesomely Asian. They have green tea, black sesame and all kinds of unusual stuff like that. They may sound weird but they are delicious. I especially like the green tea flavor.
Last, rice cakes are delicious. Especially the sweet ones. They are a fantastic snack and nothing like the Quaker ones. They are cakes make out of rice flour, not popped rice things and they are squishy and wonderful.
Three new teachers arrived at school last week. We have a new Korean teacher and two new American teachers. The Korean teacher's name is Sarah, which I am a little peeved about, but she seems very nice. So far, I like her better than, July, the teacher that she is replacing who has only been her for two months. It's probably because July hasn't really tried to get to know any of us because she decided she wanted to quit two weeks after she started.
The two new foreign teachers seem pretty cool so far but I've been too busy to really talk to them much. Shane is in his early thirties and from Canada and has a really entertaining, stereotypical Canadian accent and Adam is a new graduate from UCLA, so their pretty different in their backgrounds. I'm pretty sad that John and Austin are leaving, it's going to be pretty weird without them here.
Halloween is tomorrow!! Very excited. There will be a plethora of pictures of tiny children in costumes.
Is it weird that I miss my snuggie?
Korean number of the day: 사 (sa) or 네 (neigh) - four
Korean word/phrase of the day: 의상 (eui-sahng) - costume
No comments:
Post a Comment