HALLOWEEN!!! WOOOOOOO!!! Slight fiasco this morning. Brittany, Jamie and I rented our costumes online and they were supposed to be delivered on Saturday just to be on the safe side. Instead, they didn't get there until almost noon. So I spent more than half of my Halloween party time costumeless. I wanted to be a peacock dammit, is that so hard to accomplish? I expect Jamie to rip them a new one in Korean since I can't translate.
I had the interesting experience today of trying to carve a pumpkin with a butcher knife. I'm actually astonished I was able to make eyes and a mouth and not completely destroy the pumpkin in the process because the knife was so huge. The kids were totally grossed out by the pumpkin guts and kept telling me they were worms.
Koreans don't really celebrate Halloween, which is really too bad because I think it is one of the most fun holidays. Okay, so kids get hopped up on sugar and are started down the short road to diabetes but the costumes and pretending are a fantastic time. I got a lot of weird looks when I left school to go get a coffee milk on my break. I definitely heard someone say something about 외국인 (foreigners) very loudly at one point as well. Considering how few white people I see around, it was definitely directed at Brittany and me in our partial costumes.
Even with this lack of celebration in Korea as a whole, 이태원 (Itaewon), the foreigner area of the city, still had quite a shindig because of it's western population. On Saturday night, Brittany and I went for our usual taco Saturday, but to switch it up a little but we headed down to 이태원 to look at costumes. It definitely reminded me of college, in particular, the Grove in Miami, but with less creativity on the costume front. Unfortunately, I was sick this weekend and went home early, but I still love Halloween. There were a surprising amount of angry birds.
Korean number of the day: 오 (oh) or 다섯 (da-sote) - five
Korean word/phrase of the day: 외국인 (weigh-gook-een) - foreigner
No comments:
Post a Comment