Sunday, May 15, 2011

Weekends are too short

Oy vey, so much to catch up on.  I had a fairly stressful week during which I had sleep issues so that kind of killed any energy or creativity I had for blogging.  I couldn't fall asleep on Wednesday night until like 4am and was surprisingly OK the next day but on Friday I was kind of a mess and all of the kids were just like "IT'S FRIDAY, I DON'T WANT TO BE IN SCHOOL" so it was kind of crazy and stressful.

Friday was this holiday here called Teachers' Day.  It basically consists of kids bringing extravagant gifts for their teachers.  The other teachers, having been here for more than 3 weeks, got more gifts because the students know them better.  I personally got a pencil case, a huge box of these airy, chewy, cookie things, and six months worth of Omega 3 vitamins?  It was very random.  But kindergarteners handing you presents with cards that say "I love you Sarah Teacher" on them is just so darn freakin cute.

I realized a couple of days ago that the bills here are all different sizes, with the smallest denomination being the smallest in size and so on.  And then I wondered why we don't do that in the US.  It must be really confusing for blind people when they're all the same size.

One of the traditional dishes of Korea is called Bibimbab.  I'd read about it and thought it sounded really good and wanted to try it.  The description is basically rice with vegetables and meat on it and then an egg on top, sounds pretty good right?  Severely disappointing.  I got to try it on Saturday and it wasn't at all what I expected.  The taste was something completely different from what I had imagined, they used some kind of spicy thing that I didn't like the flavor of, and it was sad because I had expected it to be really yummy.  Le sigh.  But now I know.

I keep seeing these 5 minute long commercials that are for an unattractive, white suit that basically seems to make you sweat a lot which they continuously demonstrate by ripping parts of the suit to expose various body parts that are running with sweat.  Every time I see it I wonder if they're just pouring water down the person's body from above the shot and why in the world would anyone want to sweat that much.  I guess they like being dehydrated?

Fun fact:  70% of Korean women have had some sort of plastic surgery.  They are trying to make themselves more caucasian looking by have their noses done, their skin whitened, their single eyelids turned into double and implants in their cheeks.  I mean I haven't been looking enough to notice but it kind of bothers me that that's such a societal norm.

Korean character of the day:  ㅅ - s/sh sound
Korean word of the day: 사 (sa) - 4


1 comment:

  1. 70%?? Holy crap! That actually makes me really sad because I think Asian women are so pretty...

    ReplyDelete